Tuesday 9 January 2018 7:30PM
Allan Clayton; James Baillieu
Purcell, Schubert and Schumann
Confirmation of Programme
The programme for this concert has now been confirmed as listed below.
This concert is part of Chamber Zone, a free ticket scheme for young people aged 8-25 years old. Please call the Box Office on 020 7935 2141 and quote “Chamber Zone” to book
This concert will be approximately 2 hours in duration, including an interval
Ticket bookings are subject to a £2.00 administration fee. This fee covers the whole booking and is not per ticket.
- Allan Clayton tenor
- James Baillieu piano
Allan Clayton scored a massive critical hit as Hamlet in Brett Dean’s new opera for Glyndebourne last summer.
The tenor’s impassioned artistry and total commitment in performance can be heard here in songs packed with powerful images and romantic rapture.
Henry Purcell (c.1659-1695)
- Thou wakeful shepherd (A Morning Hymn) Z198 (realised by Benjamin Britten)
Incidental music for Oedipus, King of Thebes Z583
- Music for a while (realised by Benjamin Britten)
Rule a Wife and Have a Wife Z587
- There’s not a swain on the plain (realised by Benjamin Britten)
- In the black, dismal dungeon of despair Z190 (realised by Benjamin Britten)
- Now that the sun hath veiled his light (An Evening Hymn on a Ground) Z193 (realised by Benjamin Britten)
Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
- Ganymed D544
- Schäfers Klagelied D121
- Wandrers Nachtlied II D768
- Auf dem See D543
- Erster Verlust D226
- Willkommen und Abschied D767
Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- Kerner Lieder Op. 35