Saturday 4 January 2020 7:30PM
Allan Clayton tenor; Timothy Ridout viola; Sean Shibe guitar; James Baillieu piano
Dowland and Britten
This concert will be approximately 2 hours in duration, including an interval
Priority Bookings made for our 2019/20 Season Spring concerts are subject to an administration fee of £4.00 per booking.
This event is currently only available to Friends of Wigmore Hall, as part of a Priority Booking request. Public booking will open on Tuesday 5 November 2019.
If you are a Friend and would like to add this to your Priority Booking, please sign in; there is a 'Please sign in' link at the top of every page.
To become a Friend (from £50), and benefit from advance notice of concerts, priority booking and the opportunity to attend exclusive events, please visit Friends of Wigmore Hall.
- Allan Clayton tenor
- Timothy Ridout viola
- Sean Shibe guitar
- James Baillieu piano
The relationship between Britten and a much earlier English song composer is highlighted in a programme that contains two instrumental works specifically based on Dowland originals.
- The Britten Series is made possible with support from the Wigmore Hall Endowment Fund
John Dowland (1563-1626)
- Come again, sweet love doth now invite
- Away with these self-loving lads
- Sleep, wayward thoughts
- Come, heavy sleep
Benjamin Britten (1913-1976)
Gloriana Op. 53
- The Second Lute Song of the Earl of Essex
- Songs from the Chinese Op. 58
- Lachrymae: Reflections on a Song of John Dowland Op. 48
- Gloriana Op. 53
- Nocturnal after John Dowland Op. 70
This Way to the Tomb
- Winter Words Op. 52