Thursday 29 November 2018 7:30PM
Justina Gringytė mezzo-soprano; Andrey Zhilikhovsky baritone; Iain Burnside piano
Tchaikovsky, Medtner and Rachmaninov
This concert will be approximately 2 hours in duration, including an interval
Priority Bookings made for the Autumn booking period of our 2018/19 Season are subject to an administration fee of £4.00 per booking.
This event is currently only available to Friends of Wigmore Hall, as part of a Priority Booking request. Public booking will open on Tuesday 29 May 2018.
If you are a Friend and would like to add this to your Priority Booking, please sign in; there is a 'Please sign in' link at the top of every page.
To become a Friend (from £50), and benefit from advance notice of concerts, priority booking and the opportunity to attend exclusive events, please visit Friends of Wigmore Hall.
- Justina Gringytė mezzo-soprano
- Andrey Zhilikhovsky baritone
- Iain Burnside piano
A programme that explores the late-Romantic tradition of the lyrical Russian romance through three central figures: Tchaikovsky, his follower Rachmaninov, and their compatriot and the latter’s friend Nikolai Medtner, who spent his last 15 years in exile in London.
Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840-1893)
- I should like in a single word
- The fires in the room were already out Op. 63 No. 5
- We Sat Together Op. 73 No. 1
- The Sun has Set Op. 73 No. 4
- I opened the window Op. 63 No. 2
- Frenzied nights Op. 60 No. 6
- Dusk fell on the earth Op. 47 No. 3
- Again, as Before, Alone Op. 73 No. 6
- Why? Op. 6 No. 5
Nicolas Medtner (1879-1880)
- Twilight Op. 24 No. 4
- Whenever I hear birdsong Op. 28 No. 2
- Sleeplessness Op. 37 No. 1
Sergey Rachmaninov (1873-1943)
- Sing not to me, beautiful maiden Op. 4 No. 4
- Oh, do not grieve Op. 14 No. 8
- Fragment from Musset Op. 21 No. 6
- The Dream Op. 8 No. 5
- Before the icon Op. 21 No. 10
- No prophet, I Op. 21 No. 11
- Christ is risen Op. 26 No. 6
- To the children Op. 26 No. 7
- The ring Op. 26 No. 14
- Again I am alone Op. 26 No. 9
- There are many sounds Op. 26 No. 1
- Spring waters Op. 14 No. 11