Monday 28 November 2016 7:30PM
La Nuova Musica; David Bates director & Friends
Change of Artist/Cast
- La Nuova Musica
- David Bates director
- Lucy Crowe soprano (as Calisto)
- George Humphreys bass (as Giove)
- Jurgita Adamonyté mezzo-soprano (as Diana)
- Tim Mead countertenor (as Endomione)
- Rachel Kelly mezzo-soprano (Giunone)
- James Newby baritone (as Mercurio)
- Andrew Tortise tenor (as Pane)
- Sam Furness tenor (as Linfea)
- Jake Arditti countertenor (as Satirino)
- Edward Grint bass-baritone (as Silvano)
Francesco Cavalli’s La Calisto, first performed in Venice in 1651, blends comedy and tragedy with music of sensuous beauty and irresistible charm.
The opera’s libretto is based on the ancient Greek myth of the nymph Callisto as related by Ovid in his Metamorphoses.
Its modern revival at the 1970 Glyndebourne Festival created a wave of interest in Baroque opera that continues to grow today, driven by the energy and artistic vision of groups such as La Nuova Musica and its director David Bates, who made his critically acclaimed US debut in 2014 conducting La Calisto with Cincinnati Opera.
Francesco Cavalli (1602-1676)
- La Calisto