Saturday 7 December 2019 5:30PM
Schumann, Chopin, Schubert and Ries
This concert will be approximately 1 hour in duration, without an interval
Priority Bookings made for our 2019/20 Season Autumn concerts are subject to an administration fee of £4.00 per booking.
This event is currently only available to Friends of Wigmore Hall, as part of a Priority Booking request. Public booking will open on Thursday 30 May 2019.
If you are a Friend and would like to add this to your Priority Booking, please sign in; there is a 'Please sign in' link at the top of every page.
To become a Friend (from £50), and benefit from advance notice of concerts, priority booking and the opportunity to attend exclusive events, please visit Friends of Wigmore Hall.
- Nash Ensemble
- Philippa Davies flute
- Richard Hosford clarinet
- Adrian Brendel cello
- Lucy Wakeford harp
- Hugh Webb harp
- Simon Crawford-Phillips piano
A colourful prelude to the evening includes an early Chopin rarity, arrangements of well-known Schubert songs transcribed for harp by John Thomas, harpist to Queen Victoria, and a trio by Ferdinand Ries, pupil and friend of Beethoven.
Robert Schumann (1810-1856)
- 3 Romances Op. 94 (arr. for flute and piano)
Fryderyk Chopin (1810-1849)
- Variations in E on 'Non più mesta' from Rossini's La Cenerentola (arr. for flute and harp)
Franz Schubert (1797-1828)
- Wohin? D795 (trans. John Thomas) (trans. Ann Griffiths for 2 harps)
- Gretchen am Spinnrade D118 (trans. John Thomas) (trans. Ann Griffiths for 2 harps)
- Ständchen D957 (trans. John Thomas) (trans. Ann Griffiths for 2 harps)
- Ellens Gesang III D839 (trans. John Thomas) (trans. Ann Griffiths for 2 harps)
Ferdinand Ries (1784-1838)
- Clarinet Trio Op. 28