Monday 22 January 2018 7:30PM
Purcell – Royal Welcome Songs for King Charles II
- The Sixteen
Londoner Henry Purcell, bright star of the Chapel Royal, boosted the monarchy with pieces written for Charles II and his family.
The Sixteen and Harry Christophers are world leaders in performing Purcell’s welcome songs and other pieces for the king.
Henry Purcell (c.1659-1695)
- Rejoice in the Lord alway Z49
- Chaconne - two in one upon a ground
- Close thine eyes and sleep secure (Upon a Quiet Conscience) Z184
Sir Barnaby Whigg, or No Wit Like a Woman's Z589
- Blow, Boreas, blow
- O all ye people, clap your hands Z138
- Come, my hearts, play your parts Z246
- What shall be done in behalf of the man? Z341
- Overture in D minor Z771
The Massacre of Paris Z604
- Thy genius, lo!
- O praise the Lord, all ye heathen Z43
The Sicilian Usurper (The History of King Richard the Second) Z581
- Retir'd from any mortal's sight
- From those serene and rapturous joys Z326